Codename : Chocolate Stouthorpe (2022)
Stouts are possibly my favourite way to enjoy a beer. I found a recipe, adjusted water requirements, substituted oatmeal for wheat. I also took some liberties with the hops and yeast selection. Word to the wise, do not use this recipe.
Recipe inspiration, https://www.beercraftr.com/1-gallon-chocolate-stout-recipe/
- 1.75 lbs Maris Otter
- 3 oz Chocolate Malt
- 2 oz oatmeal
- 1.5 oz Munich dark malt
- 1.5 oz Roasted Barley
- 0.2 oz East Kent Golding hops at 90 minutes
- 10g cocoa powder at 15 minutes
- 5 ml Nottingham ale yeast
Anticipated IBU : 13 IBU
Anticipated ABV : 5%
- Start with 8 litres of strike water, 162 F
- Combine the grains in the bag.
- Place the bag in the hot water, set the timer for one hour, and maintain the temperature at 156 F.
- Prepare 2 L sparge water, 160-170 F.
- Mash out, raise the temperature to 168 for 7 minutes,
- Lift the bag out of the pot, allow it to drip into the pot. Sparge.
- Bring wort up to 200 F.
- Add hops once temperature is reached, set the timer for 90 minutes. Add cocoa with 15 minutes remaining.
- Sanitise everything required for fermentation.
- Cool to room temperature, an ice-bath or a snowbank work effectively.
- Prepare yeast mixture.
- Add wort to the jug. Pitch yeast.
- Store in a cool place for primary fermentation for 14-21 days.
- Sanitise everything required for bottling.
- Transfer from carboy to bottling pot.
- Prepare 17g corn sugar with enough hot water to dissolve it. Add to pot.
- Preferably conduct secondary fermentation for at least 4 weeks.
It had the rich stout flavour, it just lacked the alcohol content one would expect for a beer of this style.
Brew Day : 14-Jan-2022
Bottling Day : 28-Jan-2022