Codename : Westfort Winter Warmer
For Fathers’s Day this year, I got Home Brew Beer by Greg Hughes from my family. I adapted this Brown Ale from his recipe. While the ale recipe is anticipated to be 5.8% ABV, the addition of 1 oz of spiced vodka will bump it up to an estimated 7% ABV.
- 1 lbs 12 oz Maris Otter malt
- 2 oz Crystal medium (67L)
- 1 oz Chocolate malt (444L)
- 1 oz Torrified wheat
- 0.5 oz Black malt (625)
- 0.20 oz East Kent Golding hops at 60 minutes
- 2 oz Tubinado sugar at 20 minutes
- ¼ tsp Irish Moss (optional) at 15 minutes
- 0.20 oz Fuggle hops at 10 minutes
- 0.20 oz Fuggle hops at 0 minutes
- 4 ml Windsor Ale yeast
Anticipated ABV : 5,8%
Anticipated IBU : 25
Anticipated SRM : 27
Target OG : 1.055
Pre-boil SG : 1.034
Target FG : 1,011
Brewhouse (in)efficiency : 67%
- Prepare 7.5L strike water, 157F.
- Add the milled grains to the bag. Double check you included all the ingredients,
- Place the bag in the hot water, set the timer for 75 minutes, and maintain the temperature at 152 F.
- Calibrate the sonic screwdriver.
- Lift the bag out of the water, and allow it to drip into the pot. Every bit of sugar that can be extracted will benefit the end ABV.
- Bring up to a boil, 212F, set the timer for 60 minutes. Add hops, sugar, and Irish Moss as prescribed above.
- Sanitise everything required for fermentation.
- Cool to room temp, an ice-bath or a snowbank work effectively.
- Prepare yeast mixture.
- Add wort to the jug. Pitch yeast.
- Store in a cool place for primary fermentation for 7-10 days.
- After 4 days, steep 1/4 tsp of your favourite spice (cinnamon, ginger, pumpkin, etc) in 1 oz of vodka for 15 minutes, add to the carboy.
- One week later, start bottling.
- Sanitise everything required for bottling.
- Transfer from carboy to bottling pot.
- Prepare 19g corn sugar with enough hot water to dissolve it. Add to pot.
- Preferably conduct bottle conditioning for at least 6 weeks. You can crack one open early, but you might be disappointed. You have been warned.
- Requisite gravity achieved
Brew day : 25-Oct-2022
Bottling day : 5-Nov-2022
NFT : to follow