Codename : Westfort Cocoa Oatmeal Stouthorpe
This is a do over on my first chocolate oatmeal stout. Back then I made rookie mistakes, I am still making them. Despite the fact I had a recipe properly composed, I added 5x the amount of cocoa powder. Oops. It will be interesting to see how this one works out.
Recipe inspiration : Chocolate Stout
- 1 lbs 9 oz Maris Otter malt
- 2 oz oatmeal
- 2 oz Torrified wheat
- 1.5 oz Roasted barley (300L)
- 1 oz Chocolate malt (444L)
- 1 oz Dark Munich (9L)
- 0.5 oz Black malt (625L)
- 0.10 oz Cascade hops at 60 minutes
- 0.20 oz Willemette hops at 15 minutes
- ¼ tsp Irish Moss (optional) at 15 minutes
- 0.20 oz Willemette hops at 10 minutes
- 50 g Cocoa power (don’t do it, use 10!)
- 0.20 oz Fuggle hops at 0 minutes
- 4 ml Nottingham Ale yeast
Anticipated ABV : 5,1%
Anticipated IBU : 32
Anticipated SRM : 31
Target OG : 1.052
Pre-boil SG : 1.035
Target FG : 1,013
Brewhouse (in)efficiency : 67%
- Prepare 7.4L strike water, 159F.
- Add the milled grains to the bag. Double check you included all the ingredients, (If only I took my own advice)
- Place the bag in the hot water, set the timer for 75 minutes, and maintain the temperature at 152 F.
- Calibrate the sonic screwdriver. (I followed my own advice here, the hyrdometer was out of alignment)
- Lift the bag out of the water, and allow it to drip into the pot. Every bit of sugar that can be extracted will benefit the end ABV.
- Bring up to a boil, 212F, set the timer for 60 minutes. Add hops, cocoa and Irish Moss as prescribed above.
- Sanitise everything required for fermentation.
- Cool to room temp, an ice-bath or a snowbank work effectively.
- Prepare yeast mixture.
- Add wort to the jug. Pitch yeast.
- Store in a cool place for primary fermentation for 7-14 days.
- Sanitise everything required for bottling.
- Transfer from carboy to bottling pot.
- Prepare 24g corn sugar with enough hot water to dissolve it. Add to pot.
- Preferably conduct bottle conditioning for at least 6 weeks. You can crack one open early, but you might be disappointed. You have been warned.
- Requisite gravity achieved
- Mistakes were made with too much cocoa. The sediment in the bottom of the carboy is double the normal expected amount. I suspect that is the cocoa that did not dissolve in the wort, and just settled out.
Brew day : 26-Oct-2022
Bottling day : 5-Nov-2022
NFT : to follow