Codename : Westfort Irish Stouthorpe
After all the stouts I have brewed, it was about time to do a regular Irish Stout.
Recipe inspiration : https://abthorpe.org/tag/stout/
- 1 lbs 5 oz Maris Otter malt
- 2.2 oz Roasted barley (488L)
- 2 oz Torrified wheat
- 1.5 oz Chocolate malt (325L)
- 1 oz Crystal malt (67L)
- 0.10 oz Cascade hops at 60 minutes
- 0.20 oz East Kent Golding hops at 15 minutes
- ¼ tsp Irish Moss (optional) at 15 minutes
- 0.20 oz East Kent Golding hops at 10 minutes
- 0.20 oz Fuggle hops at 5 minutes
- 0.20 oz Fuggle hops at 0 minutes
- 4 ml Nottingham Ale yeast
Anticipated ABV : 4.2%
Anticipated IBU : 35
Anticipated SRM : 33
Target OG : 1.042
Pre-boil SG : 1.028
Target FG : 1,010
Brewhouse (in)efficiency : 67%
- Prepare 7.4L strike water, 159F.
- Add the milled grains to the bag. Double check you included all the ingredients,
- Place the bag in the hot water, set the timer for 75 minutes, and maintain the temperature at 152 F.
- Calibrate the sonic screwdriver.
- Lift the bag out of the water, and allow it to drip into the pot. Every bit of sugar that can be extracted will benefit the end ABV.
- Bring up to a boil, 212F, set the timer for 60 minutes. Add hops, cocoa and Irish Moss as prescribed above.
- Sanitise everything required for fermentation.
- Cool to room temp, an ice-bath or a snowbank work effectively.
- Prepare yeast mixture.
- Add wort to the jug. Pitch yeast.
- Store in a cool place for primary fermentation for 7-14 days.
- Sanitise everything required for bottling.
- Transfer from carboy to bottling pot.
- Prepare 24g corn sugar with enough hot water to dissolve it. Add to pot.
- Preferably conduct bottle conditioning for at least 6 weeks. You can crack one open early, but you might be disappointed. You have been warned.
- Requisite gravity achieved
Brew day : 7-Nov-2022
Bottling day : 14-Nov-2022
NFT : to follow