Codename : Westfort Robbie Burns Alethorpe
Robbie Burns celebrations happen world wide at the end of January, this beer pays hommage to the Bard of Scoland.
Recipe inspiration : https://abthorpe.org/tag/scottish-export/
- 1 lb 11 oz Maris Otter malt (3.8L)
- 4 oz Amber Malt (28L)
- 1 oz Dark crystal malt (100L)
- 1 oz Torrified wheat (1.5L)
- 0.5 oz Chocolate malt (360L)
- 0.20 oz East Kent Golding hops at 30 minutes
- 0.20 oz East Kent Golding hops at 15 minutes
- ¼ tsp Irish Moss (optional) at 15 minutes
- 0.20 oz Fuggle hops at 10 minutes
- 0.20 oz Fuggle hops at 0 minutes
- 3 ml Nottingham dry ale yeast
BJCP Style : Scottish Export
Anticipated ABV : 5.0%
Anticipated IBU : 29
Anticipated SRM : 16
Pre-boil SG : 1.041
Original SG : 1.051
Target SG : 1,013
Brewhouse (in)efficiency : 67%
- If you don’t want to do the mash steps, do the whole mash at 152F for 75 minutes, then skip to the part about lifting the bag out.
- Prepare 6.3L strike water, 122F.
- Add the milled grains to the bag.
- Place the bag in the hot water, set the timer for 15 minutes, and maintain the temperature at 122F.
- Stir occasionally.
- Calibrate the sonic screwdriver.
- Raise the temperature to 145F, set the timer for 30 minutes.
- Raise the temperature to 158F, set the timer for 30 minutes.
- Lift the bag out of the water, and allow it to drip into the pot. Every bit of sugar that can be extracted will benefit the end ABV.
- Bring up to a boil, 212F, set the timer for 30 minutes. Add hops and Irish moss, as prescribed above.
- Sanitise everything required for fermentation.
- Cool to room temp, an ice-bath or a snowbank work effectively.
- Prepare the yeast mixture.
- Pitch the yeast to the carboy
- Transfer the wort to the carboy, splash the wort around to aerate the contents.
- Store in a cool place for primary fermentation for 7-14 days.
- Detailed instructions.
- Prepare 0.8 oz corn sugar.
- Bottle condition at least 4 weeks.
- Pre-boil gravity was 1.043, a little higher than expected.
- Post boil gravity was 1.056, again, higher than expected. I added 125 ml of cold water to bring it down to 1.053. The anticipated ABV is 5.3%
Brew day : 27-Dec-2022
Bottling day : 3-Jan-2023