Codename : Westfort Burns Ain’t Heavy Alethorpe
Robbie Burns celebrations happen world wide at the end of January, this beer is another that pays hommage to the Bard of Scotland. Despite the style name of being Scottish Heavy, it is a low gravity session ale.
Recipe inspiration : https://abthorpe.org/tag/scottish/
- 1 lb Maris Otter malt (3.8L)
- 2 oz Brown Malt (55L)
- 2 oz Caramel malt (120L)
- 2 oz Dark Munich malt (9.9L)
- 1 oz Crystal dark (100L)
- 1 oz Torrified wheat (1.5L)
- 0.10 oz Cascade hops at 30 minutes
- ¼ tsp Irish Moss (optional) at 15 minutes
- 0.10 oz Willemette hops at 10 minutes
- 0.20 oz Willemette hops at 0 minutes
- 2 ml Nottingham dry ale yeast
BJCP Style : Scottish Heavy
Anticipated ABV : 3.4%
Anticipated IBU : 16
Anticipated SRM : 16
Pre-boil SG : 1.030
Original SG : 1.038
Target SG : 1,012
Brewhouse (in)efficiency : 68%
- Prepare 6L strike water, 158F.
- Add the milled grains to the bag.
- Place the bag in the hot water, set the timer for 75 minutes, and maintain the temperature at 158F.
- Stir occasionally.
- Calibrate the sonic screwdriver.
- Lift the bag out of the water, and allow it to drip into the pot. Every bit of sugar that can be extracted will benefit the end ABV.
- Bring up to a boil, 212F, set the timer for 30 minutes. Add hops and Irish moss, as prescribed above.
- Sanitise everything required for fermentation.
- Cool to room temp, an ice-bath or a snowbank work effectively.
- Prepare the yeast mixture.
- Pitch the yeast to the carboy
- Transfer the wort to the carboy, splash the wort around to aerate the contents.
- Store in a cool place for primary fermentation for 7-14 days.
- Detailed instructions.
- Prepare 0.8 oz corn sugar.
- Bottle condition at least 3-4 weeks.
- Pre-boil gravity, 1.030. Post-boil gravity, 1.039. Anticipated ABV is 3.5%
Brew day : 2-Jan-2023
Bottling day : 9-Jan-2023
This beer was scheduled to be brewed today in anticipation of late Robbie Burns celebrations. Upon learning of the passing of my friend Joe Winterburn, this beer will be raised to his good name.